Kilworths | Explained: Own versus Any Occupation Disablement
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-16300,single-format-standard,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-11.2,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.2.1,vc_responsive,elementor-default,elementor-kit-16676

Explained: Own versus Any Occupation Disablement

Explained: Own versus Any Occupation Disablement

Total Permanent Disablement (TPD) is where, as a result of accident or illness, you are so incapacitated that you:

  • Cannot do your own job or (where applicable) another job to which your skills may be suited; or
  • Suffer loss of limbs or sight; or
  • Cannot perform activities of daily living without the physical assistance of someone else.

When taking out a Total Permanent Disablement policy, it’s important to understand the different occupation definitions and how this influences the cover provided.

There is potentially an impact on whether a claim can be paid or not, and the pricing of policies do reflect this. ‘Own occupation’ policy is the most comprehensive and clear-cut form of cover, whilst ‘any occupation’, being broader, has a lower premium.

Own Occupation

You can claim if you’re unable to work in your usual occupation or your chosen field of employment.

You’ll receive a payout whether you can’t return to your usual occupation or another (i.e. more likely to pay a claim).
More expensive than ‘any occupation’ cover and it may not cover certain occupations.

Any Occupation

You can claim if you are permanently disabled and cannot work in any occupation you are suited to by education, training, or experience.

Less expensive than ‘own cover’, and available for more occupations.
If you could conceivably return to work in another field, you won’t receive a payout.

Please refer to the Total Permanent Disablement policy wordings for the exact claim criteria relevant to your policy.

Any Questions?

Let us know – we’re here to help.